- Are you a postgraduate student looking for someone to help you with your Master’s or Doctoral dissertation?
- Have you written a novel and need someone to look it over for spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes that you may have missed?
- Have you drafted an article or conference paper and are looking for someone to help you finalise it, before you submit it to a journal or conference proceeding?
Well, send me an email and a sample of your writing for a trial edit, and I will do my best to assist you.
You can reach me via my Contact Me page.
Qualifications & experience
I have been offering an editing and proofreading service since the early 1990s.
I studied at the University of Cape Town, obtaining a B.A. (Hons) in English Language and Literature. During my time at UCT, I also worked as a tutor in Foundation English and First Year English, and as a research assistant for the late Professor Stephen Watson in the English Department.
Over the last 25 years, I have helped many postgraduate students and lecturers to finalise their dissertations (PhD, Master’s, Honours level) across a wide range of faculties and departments at UCT and at other tertiary education institutions in Cape Town, South Africa, and overseas.
I have also edited and proofread journal articles, conference papers, books, and assorted formal and informal writings.
Towards the end of 2018, I completed an online copy-editing course with Getsmarter, in association with UCT; our head tutor was Lesley Hay-Whitton. I attended the course with the intention of formalising my qualifications and training in copy-editing in order to improve the service I can offer to my clients. I really enjoyed the interactions with the tutor and my classmates, and have learned much through the online discussions and question-and-answer sessions we have had.
I like to use a mentoring approach when working with my clients. If there is sufficient time before the submission date, I will read successive drafts of my clients’ documents, guiding them towards greater clarity in expression and better ways of structuring and presenting their arguments.
I am experienced and reliable, and offer a very comprehensive service, which includes the following:
- Correcting typographical errors and spelling mistakes
- Correcting punctuation
- Correcting grammar and syntax errors
- Advising on structure of paragraphs and flow of argument
- Checking consistency of formatting (styles of headings and text)
- Checking layout (page size, margins, numbering)
- Ensuring consistency of references in the text and in footnotes
- Proofreading the bibliography and cross-referring to main text
- Suggesting improvements of style and expression where necessary.
I work in MS Word, using Track Changes to correct errors, ask questions and suggest improvements.
Many students tend to wait until the last minute before approaching a copy-editor, and do not leave themselves (or the copy-editor) enough time to work through the document properly. Editing and proofreading take time and focused attention to detail, and the student will also need sufficient time to work through all the changes, questions and suggestions.
Contact me for a trial edit
Do not wait until the last minute!
If you would like me to do a trial edit on your manuscript, please contact me via the Contact Me page.
You can also send an email to reggiesblogs @ gmail.com (remember to remove the spaces on either side of the @ sign).
The trial edit allows you to see how I work and whether it meets your specific requirements. It also gives me a chance to assess your style of writing and whether I am the right person to assist you, and to work out a fair rate. My rate is influenced by the intensity and complexity of the work, the formatting and layout used (how much text is on a page) and the urgency of the deadline.
I look forward to hearing from you.