“FIFA 2010 visitors to the Castle thrilled”
For several weeks in June/July this year, the strong walls of the oldest surviving colonial building in South Africa, the Castle of Good Hope, constructed between 1666 and 1679, reverberated to the rattle-and- thump of drums, the stirring harmonies of brass bands, and the synchronised tramp of marching boots.
An exciting programme of crowd-pleasing performances by various youth groups had been scheduled for the duration of the 2010 FIFA World Cup from 11 June to 11 July 2010. This coincided with the activities that were staged on and around the FIFA Fan Fest, which was held on the Grand Parade in the City Centre.
Published in the Reserve Force Volunteer of Summer 2011.